Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beginning with Apps for the iPad

An important tool for everyone in the ICCARS Project is an iPad.  It serves many purposes:
1.  Field Data Collector
2.  Anytime/Anyplace Interface to the eCollaboratory.
3.  Reference Library
4.  Toolkit

In order to use the iPad, most effectively, it requires a set of apps (applications).  As of October 21, 2010, we are recommending the following apps:


Arc GIS
Free
Calculator
?
Climate Change News
$2
Clinometer HD
Free
EMD PTE
Free
Emerald Observatory
$1
Facebook
Free
Gaia GPS
$7
GIS Roam
Free
Global Warming
Free
Go Green
Free
Google Earth
Free
iRecycle
Free
Keynote
$10
Kindle
Free
Knots Guide
$3
Motion X GPS HD
$3
NASA
Free
Negotiator
Free
NFB Films for iPad
Free
NPR for iPad
Free
Numbers
$10
Pages
$10
PDF Reader Pro
$1
Satellites
$1
Science Friday
Free
Science Glossary
Free
Soundnote
$5
TED
Free
Timer/Stopwatch
?
Twitter
Free
VLC
Free
Web Albums for iPad
$3
Wolframalpha
$2
Wundermap
Free

The first purchases should include:  Gaia GPS; Keynote; Knots Guide; Pages; PDF Reader Pro; Soundnote; and Web Albums.  All free apps should be downloaded for use.

What Apps do you think are the most valuable?  What Apps do you recommend? Please add your review and comments on Apps.

12 comments:

  1. FYI: We will provide iTunes cards at Saturdays class for the apps listed that cost $$. We need all of you to email copies of the receipts for each of the paid apps for NASA accounting purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture of the mayfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hope the video editing to be done later will be understandable enough so we can adapt the process to multiple picture editors that have similar capabilities, such as Photoshop elements on a Mac.

    Is there a blog spell check?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several of the apps recommended I couldn't find, NASA for example

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the apps are for the iPod instead of the iPad but they still work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. iPod/iPhone/iTouch apps work on the iPad. If you click on the 2x button, they will fill the screen. But iPad apps only work on the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit to social network burnout. Usually an early adopter, I'm finding myself frustrated at all these new tools. Not because I can't use them, but because I'm afraid I'm not using them as much as I could! Oh well, who needed sleep anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Numbers creates spreadsheets, Keynote, presentations, and Pages is for documents. Negotiator has headlines from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't feel bad John. The key is to have fun and enjoy the learning. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I added and copied the priority expectations into the iBook app.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your collection of ipad/ iphone apps. I have many of these as well.
    I also regularly use a variety of weather, tides and wildlife apps as well as a Theodolite (angles distance measure that uses the iphone camera), surf and snow reports, Google Earth, ArcGIS, etc.
    My iphone is always with me in the field, as is my ipad, for meetings especially. I would love to have a field data collectin app that taps into the camera, GPS, GIS or Google Earth, etc.

    Here's a basic list of my apps... I regularly use them all!
    Weather Channel, NE Radars, WeatherBug, TideGraph WXRadar, LivingEarth, GeoQuick, MotionGPS, GPS Kit, Scenic MapE, Bombora, Cartographer, MapQuest, ArcGIS, Trails, MindNote, EverNote, Ephemeris, Distant Suns, pUniverse, ChemTouch, Knots, iSeismo, iBird Plus, Video Physics (vernier), Theodolite, Tltmeter, TapeMeasure,iTimelapse (photo timelapse), Genius, Photopad, iMovie, Pano, GyrocCam, Surf Report, Snow Report, iDiver, facebook... a bunch of music instruments and doodle apps, new apps, a few games, etc.

    Scott Graves - SCSU, GLOBE CT

    ReplyDelete