Monday, February 14, 2011
Summary of the ICCARS PLC Webconference on Monday, February 7, 2011
Review of the ICCARS PLC Webconference on Monday, February 7, 2011
Present: Laura Amatulli, Lynn Bradley, Wanda Bryant, Russ Columbus, Erica Conley-Shannon, Greg Dombro, Jennifer Gorsline, Tome Green, Dan Neil, Kathleen O’Connor, Deena Parks, John Rama, Darcie Ruby, and Bruce Szczechowski
Absent: John Bayerl and Caroline Chuby
The agenda for the meeting will follow, but before the agenda is listed, there was information that was shared from the group and we want that listed here, so that everyone can view the information quickly:
Free viewing of the PBS Program—Secrets Beneath the Ice. Please visit:
EarthKAMM – Earth Knowledge Acquired by Middle School Students is an educational outreach program allowing middle school students to take pictures of our Earth from a digital camera on board the International Space Station. For more information or to register for the April 5-8 EarthKAMM mission, please visit:
The Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network:
was again mentioned as a really good resource educational resources.
A great site to check out for student projects is Think Quest, which can be found at:
eCyberMission is a free, web-based science, technology, engineering and math competition for students in grades six through nine. The deadline to enter is March 3. For more information, please visit:
1. Updates – New Picasa Photos, CTN Grant Update, E-Rate Grant Update, Michigan Climate Coalition, ICCARS Calendar, ICCARS Pre/Post Test Developed based on Yale Study, Blog
2. Important Dates: The 2011 Climate Summit will take place on April 27 from 4:00 – 8:00 and the Summer Training for ICCARS will take place August 8 – 12 at Wayne RESA.
3. Lifelines is offering two optional webinars—February 23 and March 16 from 6:00 – 7:00. Possible collaborations among teachers may be coming.
4. Additional Resources/Opportunities: Thacher Environmental Grants; GLOBE Student Climate Research Campaign, NASA Explorer Schools.
5. iPad Updates: Movie—Secrets Beneath the Ice; Book—Frasers Penguins; new eBook from Andy Henry on Image Processing.
6. Assessments have been collected and are being reviewed.
7. Next Assignment Due April 11 – Full Unit Development
8. Climate Change Science – Discussion of Climate Change an Winter Storms
9. Remote Sensing – Satellite Meteorology focusing in on the CERES, GOES, and POES.